13.9.14

"Killa" - J. Brooka



Sad but true, the video still that gets sent out with your promo emails is more important than the copy. I'm a copywriter: we're cheap, dumb animals with immense pretensions. That image is the make-or-break first point of contact, and in the case of J. Brooka, my interest was 100% about his hair. "Holy shit," I remarked to myself, "I will have to check this out later."

I'm glad I did. Not because it's good -- although dude raps better than you'd expect from such a shitty beat -- but because this is a gem of unintentional comedy. The production values are high, sure, but that only heightens the hilarity. Shout-out to over-acting and not having any homies to tell you "don't use that take, man." Shout-out to the lamest, cheapest gunshot effects I have ever heard from a struggle rapper. Shout-out to doing your eight-bar hook three times.

Once J. Brooka gets going, this is technically superb horrorcore in the Brotha Lynch Hung vein. Based on the video, I'm betting this cat kinda kills it live, and also smiles a lot in person. I will probably watch the next video this cat makes -- with actual horror-film production, he could build a little goth-hop empire of blood. Dream big, build daily. Blaow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOBODY CARES