12.6.17

Black Pegasus - "Idolatry"



I first remember thinking Black Pegasus was a stupid name in 2003. I was wrong even then: there are no stupid names in rap. Sure, even 2 Chainz had to concede the point on "Tity Boi," and yes, Lil' Poopy represents a fundamental threat to our civilization. Yet the fact those two make good money is proof that only branding matters.

Black Pegasus put in work and Black Pegasus stuck around, and thus do I still have to talk about Black Pegasus in 2017.

It's unclear whether or not this dude still lives in 2003. Sample bars: "I'm not a ghost - this isn't Halloween - when I get inside your girl's walls and make the bitch scream." This is a guy who has spent most of his adult life trying to impress people who are even dumber than him. Even C-Rayz Walz would rewrite that shit.

It's not about offensive, it's about corny - it's also about basic standards of masculinity. That dude who keeps on talking about getting pussy - isn't. That cat who keeps on talking about winning fights - can't. Black Pegasus is a bitch and the camera can't hide it even when he's paying money to look good. Life is unfair like that.

Awkward setup, lame punchline. For millions of rap fans around the world, that's not a problem, it's a product. This is the international network that keeps Coast 2 Coast mixtapes alive, the overlap between Rogan Podcast fans and Juggalos who really like Wu-Tang.

Case in point would be Mr Biscuit, who has a great name but an interchangeable "I'M INTENSE BUT LYRICAL" aesthetic that tries to sell cheap, autistic bars off sheer energy. That only works at local freestyle ciphers.

I'm glad they let him sit on the rental, though. Small gestures like that mean a lot as I get older.

I've talked a lot of shit about Madchild in the past. I'll be honest, I've always hated indie rap, most of you are fucking terrible. And yet. As he ages I find myself enjoying him more and more. I won't defend him as a writer, he just seems like a fun human being to hang out with. I've been a lifelong fan of other rappers for far less.

Overall: this was forgettable and that last guy was the only one who belonged on camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOBODY CARES